Strawberries and balsamic vinegar are a classic dessert pairing. Here they move to the salad course, complementing crunchy shaved fennel, salty Pecorino Romano cheese, and toasted pine nuts.
- Yields: 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium head fennel, halved, cored, and cut crosswise into paper-thin slices
- 5 ounces baby arugula, washed and dried
- 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved into thin strips
- Place the shallots, both vinegars, the measured salt, and the pepper in a medium, nonreactive bowl. While whisking constantly, slowly add the oil in a thin stream until fully incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Place the fennel in a large bowl, season with salt, and stir to coat. Add the arugula, strawberries, and pine nuts and gently toss to combine. Add the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Add the Pecorino Romano, tossing lightly (so as not to break up the cheese) until just incorporated.