Spring carrots pair beautifully with orange marmalade, which caramelizes in the oven to lend a pleasant punch of both sweet and bitter.
What to buy: Baby carrots with their green tops, which start appearing at the market in spring, are perfect for this recipe. If they’re small enough in diameter you can leave them whole; if they’re thick, halve them lengthwise. And if they are too long to fit in your pan, lop them in half. They should not be confused with packaged baby-cut carrots.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 35 mins
- Active: 5 mins
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 12 small baby carrots, peeled and tops trimmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine marmalade, wine, cumin seed, broth, and mustard in a large oven-safe frying pan. Place the pan over high heat and whisk until all ingredients are evenly combined. Bring mixture to a boil and add carrots; season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir to coat the carrots. Transfer the frying pan to the oven.
- Roast the carrots, turning them occasionally if they begin to get too dark, until the liquid has reduced to a glaze and the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, toss in butter, and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.