Throwing a little green in the mix of whatever else is on your table never hurt anyone. This dish of hearty greens can stand up to carb-y sides no problem. Plus, the addition of garlic and chili flakes bring the antioxidant load to overload (in a good way!).
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds hearty greens, sliced thinly (we like kale or Swiss chard, but collards or beet greens are great alternatives)
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook until garlic is golden around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove garlic from the skillet and set aside.
- Add hearty greens, cover, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add spinach, and season with salt and red pepper flakes (if using) to taste. Cook until spinach wilts, stirring frequently, about 1 minute.
- Return garlic to pan and stir. Serve immediately or at room temperature.