A classic Champagne cocktail, the Poinsettia is a festive orange-and-cranberry-flavored, rose-tinted punch that’s perfect for Christmas. Use floating frozen orange slices and cranberries to keep the punch nicely chilled and nicely decorated.
Game plan: This punch is not served with ice, so make sure all the ingredients and the punch bowl are well chilled. If you have an extra bowl that’s larger than your punch bowl, fill it with ice and nestle the punch bowl inside to keep it cold. Learn how to open Champagne the right way too.
For more festive, fizzy, and crowd-pleasing options, see our Holiday Champagne Punch recipe, our Spiced Pear-Champagne Punch recipe, our Sparkling Rum and Pomegranate Punch recipe, and our St. Cecilia’s Punch recipe.
- Yield: 12 drinks
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins, plus freezing time
- Active: Under 5 mins
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) orange slices, from about 2 oranges, for garnish
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, for garnish
- 3 cups chilled cranberry juice
- 3/4 cup chilled Cointreau
- 2 (750-milliliter) bottles chilled brut sparkling wine or champagne
- Place the orange slices in a single layer on a baking sheet or dish and freeze until solid, about 1 hour.
- Place the fresh cranberries, if using, in a single layer on another baking sheet or dish and freeze until solid, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, place a punch bowl in the freezer or refrigerator to chill.
- When ready to serve, place the cranberry juice and Cointreau in the punch bowl and stir to combine. Add the sparkling wine or champagne. Float the frozen orange slices and cranberries in the punch and serve immediately.