Inspired by the idea of making a camping cocktail, we thought it’d be novel to use a little pine liqueur to bring the taste of the great outdoors to the canteen. We found the punchy, herbal liqueur a little tricky to mix with, but ultimately we were able to balance it out with some dark rum and a little pineapple juice. This recipe is scaled to fit into a canteen, and serves four. Just mix it up, toss the canteen in the cooler, then bust it out around the campfire, serving the punch over ice in your favorite camping cup.
What to buy: Fir or pine liqueur is distilled from fresh pine cones and has a strong herbal quality. It can be found at well-stocked liquor stores or online.
Game plan: The mixture can be kept chilled for up to 2 days before serving.
This cocktail was featured as part of our Make-Ahead Car Camping Recipes.
- Yield: 4 drinks
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins
- Active: Under 5 mins
- 7 1/2 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
- 5 ounces dark rum, such as Gosling’s or Myers’s
- 2 1/2 ounces fir or pine liqueur, such as Zirbenz
- Combine the pineapple juice, rum, and liqueur in a 16-ounce container with a tightfitting lid. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (The mixture will keep for up to 2 days.)
- When ready to serve, stir the mixture to recombine and then pour over ice.