Serve these tangy, crunchy onions with Mayan-Style Pit Pork and a few warm corn tortillas—their beautiful pink hue brightens any table.
- Yield: 5 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 5 mins, plus refrigeration time
- 2 medium red onions, halved lengthwise, root ends removed, and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 4 medium limes)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 5 medium oranges)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, and very thinly sliced
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the onions and blanch for about 15 seconds. Drain well and set aside.
- Combine the lime juice, orange juice, sugar, and salt in a large, nonreactive bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the blanched onions and the jalapeño and stir to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.