Sautéed cremini mushrooms and crumbled chorizo are the filling for these simple quesadillas with melted Oaxaca, Asadero, Quesillo, or Monterey jack cheese.
- Yield: 4 small quesadillas
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 25 mins
- Active: 25 mins
- ¼ to ½ pound Salvadorian or Mexican chorizo, removed from casings
- ¼ to 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4} fresh corn tortillas
- ½ pound Oaxaca, Asadero, Quesillo, or Monterey jack cheese, cut into cubes or torn into small pieces
- ½ tablespoon oil
- Add the chorizo to a frying pan over medium heat. Cook about 10 minutes, breaking up the meat into small pieces. Add the mushrooms, mix with the chorizo, and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft and the juices reduced.
- Using a spatula, scrape the chorizo-mushroom filling into a bowl. Carefully wipe out any remaining bits and turn the heat to medium low.
- Add a corn tortilla to pan, top with 1/4 of the cheese and 1/4 of the chorizo-mushroom filling.
- Fold the tortilla in half and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.