Keep the New Orleans theme going with a vieux carre cocktail nightcap.
New Orleans’ iconic muffaletta sandwich inspired this pasta salad recipe, with its salami, provolone, roasted red pepper, celery, pepperoncini, and two kinds of olives. A bold red wine vinaigrette ties everything together in style. For your vegetarian guests, try our classic, easy pesto salad recipe.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 55 mins
- Active: 25 mins
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely diced shallots
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pound small pasta shapes, such as orecchiette, cavatelli, conchiglie, or penne
- 3 ounces sliced dry salami, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese, cut into small pieces
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup pitted sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup pitted sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, stir together the vinegar, shallots, oregano, celery seed, Worcestershire, and sugar. Let sit for 15 minutes, then slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified into the dressing. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse well under cold water; drain again and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Add the salami, provolone, celery, pepperoncini, roasted red bell peppers, olives, capers, and parsley, and toss until evenly combined. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away at room temperature, or refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 1 day in advance.