Plain matzo is the base of this easy brittle: Line a baking sheet with it, pour caramel over it, add chocolate chips and spread them around once they melt, then top with sliced almonds. There’s no fussing over a candy thermometer when making the caramel, and one recipe makes enough to feed a crowd. A sprinkling of fancy fleur de sel adds a savory touch that helps cut through the sweetness.
What to buy: Fleur de sel is a hand-harvested sea salt that is moister than other salts and has a nice crunch and a distinct mineral taste. It can be found at gourmet grocery stores.
Game plan: The matzo brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- 4 (6-1/2-by-6-inch) sheets unsalted matzo
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into large pieces
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fleur de sel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds or toasted coarsely chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with 2 overlapping pieces of aluminum foil that wrap over the edges of the baking sheet. Arrange the matzo in a single layer on the baking sheet, breaking pieces as needed to fill any empty spaces; set aside.
- Place the butter, brown sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon of the fleur de sel in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir with a rubber spatula until the mixture comes to a boil, about 5 minutes. Continue to boil, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes more. Remove from the heat, add the vanilla (pour it in slowly, as the mixture may bubble up), and stir to combine.
- Pour the caramel over the matzo and spread it evenly using the rubber spatula. Place the baking sheet in the oven (use care because the baking sheet may be hot from the caramel) and bake the matzo until small bubbles cover the surface and the caramel is fragrant (do not let the caramel burn), about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the chocolate chips, and set aside until the chips have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the chocolate over the caramel. Sprinkle with the nuts and remaining 3/4 teaspoon fleur de sel. Refrigerate the brittle until cool, about 15 minutes. Break into pieces and serve.