What to buy: You’ll find boniato in the produce department of specialty grocery stores or at most Latin markets.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hr
- Active: 35 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds boniato (tropical sweet potato)
- 1 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic (see note)
- Peel the boniato and the red potatoes and chop them into large pieces; place each in a separate container of water.
- Fill two medium saucepans with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add some salt and cook the boniato and the potatoes separately until fork tender.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and cook the onion until caramelized. Deglaze pan with sherry vinegar and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, reduce the heavy cream by half. Whisk in the roasted garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large stainless-steel mixing bowl, combine the potatoes and onions and add the cream a little at a time while mashing the potatoes. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. The mashed mixture can be kept in the stainless-steel bowl covered with aluminum foil over a pot of simmering water for 1 hour.