See our Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide for more recipes, tips, tricks, and intel.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- Warmed milk or cream
- Chopped herbs, such as chives or parsley
- Peel and rinse the potatoes, then cut them into evenly sized chunks.
- Place the potatoes in a pot of cold, heavily salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart when pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot pot. Dry them over low heat, stirring until they completely fall apart and are white on the edges.
- Finish mashing the potatoes with a hand masher or a ricer.
- Add the milk or cream until the mixture looks like soup, then stir constantly until the milk or cream has been absorbed.
- Stir in chopped herbs of your choice and butter to taste. Serve immediately.