When life gives you leftover Chinese takeout rice, make leftover Chinese takeout rice pudding! Seeing as most on-campus stores don’t carry many top-quality ingredients, we took what’s easy to find—instant vanilla pudding and nondairy creamer—and made do.
What to buy: Instant vanilla pudding mix and powdered, hazelnut-flavored nondairy creamer can be found in most supermarkets.
This recipe was featured as part of our story on dorm cooking.
- Yields: 1 to 2 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins
- Active: 5 mins
- 1 tablespoon instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup powdered, hazelnut-flavored nondairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 packed cup day-old Chinese takeout rice (white)
- Dissolve pudding mix, nondairy creamer, and salt in water in a medium-size microwave-safe dish. Add rice and stir to coat.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes or until hot. Remove cover, stir to combine, and let sit for 5 to 7 minutes to allow rice to soak up liquid. Serve.