Our version of this classic dish is straightforward and hearty, with layers of Ragu alla Bolognese and Béchamel Sauce.
Game plan: You can prepare this recipe a day ahead through step 3. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 1 day; allow to come to room temperature before baking.
- Yield: 8 to 12 servings
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 1 hr 45 mins
- Active: 45 mins
- 10 cups Ragu alla Bolognese (see recipe intro)
- 1 (9-ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 12 ounces mild provolone cheese, very thinly sliced
- 4 cups Béchamel Sauce (see recipe intro)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Spread 2 cups of the Bolognese sauce in a thin layer over the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Construct the lasagna by layering 4 noodles over the sauce. Top with another 2 cups Bolognese sauce and spread it evenly to the edges of the dish; cover with 1/4 (3 ounces) of the sliced provolone cheese. Spread 1 cup of the béchamel sauce in a thin layer and top with 1/4 cup of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Place the next layer of lasagna noodles perpendicular to the direction of the first layer and top with another layer of filling (using the same amounts of ingredients as above). Repeat 2 more times, being sure to place each layer of lasagna noodles perpendicular to the previous layer.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil. Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove the foil and continue baking until the edges are brown and the noodles are completely tender, about 20 minutes more. Allow to stand for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.