A layer of your favorite preserves, a sprinkling of sliced almonds, and buttery shortbread combine to create an effortless tart.
Game plan: Use whatever jam you prefer in this recipe; we’ve tried it with apricot and peach-raspberry jam with much success.
- Yield: 1 (10-inch) tart, about 12 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: About 1 hr, plus cooling time
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup jam
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until very light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt and mix just until smooth. Scrape down the bowl, add the measured flour, and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together.
- Remove 1/2 cup of the dough and, using lightly floured fingertips, press it to 1/2- to 1/4-inch flat on a small plate. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Press the remaining dough (with lightly floured fingertips) evenly into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.
- Spread the jam over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Remove the remaining dough from the freezer and crumble it evenly over the jam. Sprinkle the almonds evenly over the top.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before removing the pan sides. With a sharp knife, cut the crostata into 12 wedges and serve.