Homemade mayonnaise is delicious on its own, but adding some freshly grated horseradish gives it extra zing. This mayo’s perfect on a burger, a roast beef sandwich, or anywhere else you want a kick of heat.
Game plan: Have all the ingredients at room temperature before you start; the mayo will come together better. Also, because the egg doesn’t get cooked, use a very fresh or pasteurized egg. Once made, the mayonnaise should be stored in an airtight container and can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Yield: 1 cup
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 5 mins
- Active: 5 mins
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine horseradish, egg, and mustard in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and process until mixture is evenly combined, about 30 seconds.
- With the processor running, slowly add oil in a thin stream until completely combined. Add vinegar and salt, and pulse until evenly combined. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.