The burrito bowl: Everything you love about the burrito without the carbs-heavy tortilla wrapper. Here, lean chicken breast (seasoned with chili powder and cumin) is seared golden brown. Next, you sauté red onion till soft, then add black beans and corn. To assemble a rib-sticking breakfast that won’t weigh you down with superfluous starch, just line serving bowls with lettuce, heap in the black beans, Spanish rice, chicken, crumbled Cotija cheese, sour cream, Pico de Gallo salsa, and cilantro. Tortilla chips are an optional indulgence.
- Yield: 2 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 40 mins
- Active: 25 mins
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup small diced red onion
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if canned
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small head butter lettuce
- 1 cup Spanish rice (recipe link in intro)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup Pico de Gallo Salsa (recipe link in intro)
- Cilantro sprigs
- Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- Cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise. Blend together the chili powder and ground cumin. Season the chicken breast halves all over with salt, then sprinkle on all sides with the chili powder mixture.
- Warm 1 tablespoon of the oil in a nonstick or cast iron frying pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Carefully lay the chicken in the pan, smooth side down. Cook until the edges look golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until the chicken is cooked through, another 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the red onion and cook until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes (reduce the heat if the onion shows signs of browning). Add the black beans and corn and season with salt. Cook until all ingredients are heated through; remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, warm the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the eggs and fry until set, bubbly, and brown on the edges, about 3 minutes.
- To assemble, line two serving bowls with lettuce leaves. Top with the black bean mixture, Spanish rice, chicken, Cotija cheese, sour cream, Pico de Gallo, and cilantro. Serve with optional tortilla chips.