Grilling the pineapple slices gives this daiquiri recipe a fun, summery feel and a little extra caramelized complexity. After the fruit is charred, just muddle it; shake it with white rum, fresh-squeezed lime juice, and Créole Shrubb (an orange peel– and spice-infused liqueur); strain; and serve up, for a sneakily boozy drink to sip while you’re finishing up some grilled pork tenderloin or fish with fresh melon salsa on the grill.
What to buy: Rhum Clément Créole Shrubb is a liqueur made with orange peel, spices, and rhum agricole, a Martinique-style rum made from sugarcane juice instead of molasses. You can find it in most well-stocked liquor stores or online. It is not to be confused with shrubs, which are fruit-based drinking vinegars.
Game plan: For tips on how to properly double strain a cocktail using a small fine-mesh strainer, click here.
- Yield: 6 drinks
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 35 mins
- Active: 20 mins
- 1 medium pineapple (about 3 pounds)
- 6 ounces white rum
- 3 ounces Rhum Clément Créole Shrubb
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 3 medium limes)
- 6 orange twists, for serving
- Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high (about 375°F to 425°F). Meanwhile, peel the pineapple and cut it in half lengthwise. Cut the two halves crosswise into 18 (1/2-inch-thick) pieces; you may have a few extra pieces—save them for another use.
- Place the pineapple on the grill and cook uncovered until grill marks appear and the pineapple is slightly softened and charred, about 4 minutes per side. Remove to a large dish and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Place 3 of the grilled pineapple pieces in a cocktail shaker and muddle gently. Add 1 ounce of the rum, 1/2 ounce of the Créole Shrubb, and 1/2 ounce of the lime juice and stir to combine. Fill the shaker halfway with ice and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker is frosty. Place a small, fine-mesh strainer over a cocktail glass, fit a standard cocktail strainer over the shaker, and pour the cocktail through both strainers into the glass. Garnish with an orange twist and serve immediately. Repeat to make 5 more drinks.