For a more sophisticated variation, beat the eggs together with fresh minced herbs and rub the bread with a little roasted garlic before you start.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easy Hot Breakfasts in 15 Minutes.
- Yield: 2 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins
- 2 (1-inch-thick) slices bread
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground lack pepper
- Cut or tear a 2-inch hole out of the center of each slice of bread.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the bread slices. Crack an egg into each bread hole, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the bottoms are golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a flat spatula, flip and cook until the second side is golden brown, about 3 minutes more for runny yolks. Serve immediately.