In this easy, healthy recipe for Thai grilled chicken, boneless, skin-on breasts are marinated with cilantro, garlic, brown sugar, white pepper, Asian fish sauce, and soy sauce, then tossed into a hot grill pan or cooked on the grill. Serve with a simple green salad and Thai sweet chili sauce on the side.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 20 mins, plus 30 mins marinating time
- 4 boneless, skin-on chicken breasts, about 8 ounces each
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- Oil, for the grill pan
- Thai sweet chili sauce, for serving
- Trim the chicken breasts of fat and membrane, if necessary, and flatten the thicker parts slightly using the flat side of a mallet.
- In a blender, purée the cilantro, garlic, brown sugar, white pepper, fish sauce, and soy sauce until smooth. Pour the marinade all over the chicken breasts, and rub over and under the skin. Put the chicken on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes. (You can also refrigerate the breasts for up to 2 hours, letting them sit out on the counter for 1 hour before cooking.)
- Place a stovetop grill pan over medium heat and let it get hot, then brush the pan with oil. Place the marinated chicken breasts on the grill pan skin-side down and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Use tongs to flip the breasts and cook until firm to the touch, about 5 minutes more. Remove the chicken to a warmed platter and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Slice the breasts against the grain and serve with Thai sweet chili sauce on the side.