Shredded rotisserie chicken, half a dozen tortillas, some great salsa, and a few garnishes—great tacos are all about combining a few well-chosen ingredients.
Game plan: Make a batch of Mezcal Salsa Borracha or other rich, smoky salsa before you begin.
- Yields: 6 tacos
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 20 mins
- Active: 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound shredded rotisserie chicken
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup salsa (see note)
- 1 large jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut in 6 wedges
- Warm the oil in a medium skillet or nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook until it’s fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shredded chicken, sprinkle in the cumin, and cook until the chicken is heated through, moving the pieces around with a pair of tongs, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Warm the tortillas by heating a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla at a time, flipping to warm both sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Assemble the tacos: Pile some of the chicken in a warm tortilla, add a spoonful of salsa and sprinkle with the sliced jalapeños, scallions, and cilantro. Finish with a squeeze of lime and serve.