Contrary to popular belief, Dutch babies don’t have to be sweet. This savory version is topped with crème fraîche, smoked salmon, and chives. It’s basically like taking bagels and lox to the next level—that is if you were to swap bagels for a puffy pancake. The pancake batter gets seasoned with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and chives for some extra flavor.
- Total: 30 min
- Active: 5 min
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped, plus more to serve
- ½ cup milk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the flour, salt, pepper, and chives, and whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking until combined.
- Place the butter in a 10-inch cast iron pan and place in the oven until the butter melts, about 3 minutes. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Pour the batter into the hot cast iron. Bake for 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Add the crème fraîche in a layer then top with the smoked salmon and chives. Serve immediately.
Image courtesy of Alexis deBoschnek.