These easy chocolate cookies are great on their own. But press a caramel candy into the center of each, and you’ve got an irresistible pairing.
- Yields: 36 cookies
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 35 mins
- Active: 25 mins
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 18 soft caramel candies, such as Brach’s, halved
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Melt chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally; remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder in a medium mixing bowl to aerate and break up any lumps. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream by mixing on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and blend well. Scrape down the bowl and add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Put mixer on low and add melted chocolate. Add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased baking sheet, then press half a caramel into the center of each cookie. Bake until cookies are puffed and set, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool slightly.