Roasting chicken breasts and legs, then using the same pan and the drippings to build the pasta sauce, gives this dish extra flavor. To save time, prepare the ingredients for the sauce while the chicken cooks. When the chicken’s ready, sauté the mushrooms and aromatics in the flavorful browned bits left in the pan, then deglaze the pan with white wine. Stir in the cream and finish the dish by mixing the sauce together with the cooked pasta, roasted chicken, and Parmesan cheese.
See also our chicken mushrooms pasta recipe using spaghetti.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 skin-on, bone-in chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 1 skin-on, bone-in whole chicken leg (about 12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium shallot
- 4 medium garlic cloves
- 2 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Place the chicken in a large oven-safe frying pan, rub both sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Place the pan in the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown bits have formed on the bottom of the pan, about 35 minutes.
- While the chicken roasts, prepare the pasta and the rest of the ingredients. Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Clean, trim, and quarter the mushrooms. Cut the shallot into small dice. Finely chop the garlic. Grate the cheese on the fine holes of a box grater (you should have about 1 cup). Set all the ingredients aside.
- When the chicken is ready, transfer it to a cutting board to cool. Place the pan over medium-high heat, leaving any fat or browned bits in it, and add the reserved mushrooms (use care while handling the hot pan). Cook, stirring rarely, until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta and prepare the chicken. Cook the pasta according to the package directions or until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water and drain; set the drained pasta and cooking water aside, and reserve the pot. Remove the chicken meat from the bones and discard the skin, cartilage, and fat. Shred the meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- When the mushrooms are ready, add the remaining tablespoon of oil, reserved shallot, measured salt, and measured pepper to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened, about 1 minute. Add the reserved garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and simmer until the wine is almost completely reduced, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broth or stock, cream, and 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the sauce reduces by about half, about 6 minutes.
- Return the pasta to the reserved pot and place it over medium heat. Add the cream sauce, shredded chicken, and grated cheese and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened slightly (it’ll be loose but will thicken more as it sits), adding more reserved pasta water as needed, about 2 minutes. Taste, season with salt and pepper if needed, and serve immediately with extra Parmesan on the side.