For this classic creamy chicken and mushroom spaghetti recipe, a simple flour-thickened sauce binds together yellow onion, cremini mushrooms, fresh thyme, chicken broth, milk, and Parmesan.
- Yield: 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hr
- Active: 30 mins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and wine, then sprinkle with the thyme and a little more salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms soften, about 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in the frying pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking, for 2 minutes. Slowly add the broth, whisking constantly, then stir in the milk. Let simmer for 5 minutes.Add the chicken, reserved mushroom mixture, and 1 cup Parmesan, and stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture is slightly thickened to create a sauce, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to package directions, then drain.
- Add the pasta to the pan and stir and toss to coat the pasta with the sauce and warm it through, about 3 minutes. Serve with a little more Parmesan and some parsley sprinkled over the top.