This seasoned salt is a simple, quick way to give anything you’re cooking a burst of salty, zesty flavor. To make it, simply combine the zest from a couple of lemons, limes, and oranges with kosher salt and let it dry out overnight. Try it sprinkled on baked, sautéd, or broiled seafood, a simple seared chicken breast, or a margarita.
What to buy: We used Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt for this recipe. The crystals of kosher salt vary across brands, so if you use another brand, be sure to measure by weight or else the ratio of flavors in the recipe will change. Diamond Crystal is available in most grocery stores.
- Yield: About 1/2 cup
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins, plus drying time
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated, lightly packed lemon zest (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated, lightly packed lime zest (from about 2 medium limes)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated, lightly packed orange zest (from about 2 medium oranges)
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and rub the salt and zests between your fingers to distribute the citrus’s oils. Spread the mixture in a thin, even layer on a plate and let it dry uncovered at room temperature overnight. Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to 2 months.