While not intended as a copycat Disney dessert (instead, the inspiration was to put a Latinx twist on a classic North American summer treat and state fair staple), these churro funnel cakes come deliciously close to the popular park sweet.
Fry up these crispy, golden cinnamon funnel cakes at home and serve with dulce de leche to drizzle or dip. Chocolate sauce and/or whipped cream would not be unwelcome, either. You could even add ice cream for a next-level sundae.
For the churro funnel cake:
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon (13g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (141g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
For the coating:
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Make the coating: Mix together sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven heat enough vegetable or canola oil to fry the cakes (a good rule of thumb is to fill your pot up to 1 1/2 inches, so make sure the pot is at least twice as deep as that overall) over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, make the batter.
- Add water, butter, sugar, and salt to a large saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir constantly with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture comes together and is smooth (a few lumps in it are fine).
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and egg to the flour mixture, and immediately blend with a hand mixer until batter comes together and is smooth (if it separates at first, keep mixing it until it comes together).
- Transfer the batter to a small piping bag fitted with a rounded star tip.
- Carefully pipe mixture into preheated oil in a spiral motion, pinching the dough off once the desired size has been reached.
- Let it cook until the dough puffs and turns golden brown, turning halfway through so both sides evenly cook. This will take approx 2 to 4 minutes total. Carefully remove from oil and place on a paper towel-covered plate to drain for 30-60 seconds.
- Dip the cooked funnel cakes into the cinnamon-sugar mixture while still warm and coat both sides. Shake off excess.
- Serve immediately with dulce de leche.