Think baking a cake is impossible while camping? Think again. With this recipe you don’t even need cake pans—each cake is baked individually in an orange, infusing the chocolate with citrus flavor. So grab your cake batter and tinfoil and start baking!
This recipe was featured as part of our Step Up the S’more: 7 Ideas for Campfire Treats.
More more creative brownie ideas, see Chowhound’s brownie in a mug recipe.
- Yield: 10 single-serving cakes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- 10 oranges
- 1 recipe chocolate cake batter, prepared in advance (box mix is fine)
- Cut the tops off the oranges and scoop out the pulp.
- Fill the oranges three-quarters of the way with the chocolate cake batter (or cake mix) of your choice, then put the orange tops back on and wrap each orange in aluminum foil.
- Place directly onto the smoldering coals of the campfire, avoiding any intense flames, and cook for about 30 minutes, turning once or twice.