For this easy Chinese chile garlic sauce recipe, adapted from Asian Dumplings, fresh red chiles combine with garlic and vinegar with a touch of sugar.
- Yield: About 2/3 cup
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins
- Active: 10 mins
- 6 ounces fresh red chiles, preferably Fresnos, stemmed
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, more as needed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Add the chiles, salt, sugar, and vinegar to a food processor and process to a medium-coarse puree.
- Taste and add more sugar or salt as needed—it should be spicy, with sugar, salt, and vinegar in more or less equal balance. Scrape into a serving bowl, or store in an airtight container, refrigerated, up to 5 days.