A takeout favorite is always better when you make it at home. Actually, this is an adaptation of the Thai national dish (for a more traditional version, check out our Pad Thai recipe): Strips of boneless, skinless chicken breast mingle in the wok with rehydrated rice noodles, a slightly spicy peanut sauce, and an inspired shortcut—a handful of frozen stir-fry veggies (we like this organic Chinese-Style Stir-Fry Blend from Cascadian Farm). An added bonus: It has all the elements of a one-dish meal.
For more, check out our Tofu and Broccolini Pad See Ew, Pad Kee Mao, and Seared Steak with Spicy Rice Noodles.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 mins
- Active: 30 mins
For the peanut sauce:
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
For the noodles:
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 10 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup frozen Asian stir-fry blend
- 4 ounces medium-wide rice noodles, soaked in warm water until softened, drained
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup bean sprouts
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Roasted unsalted peanuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, peanut butter, and Sriracha until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken. Stir-fry the chicken until the pieces are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the frozen vegetables and stir-fry until the chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the noodles and toss to mix, coating the noodles with the oil.
- Add the reserved peanut sauce, the brown sugar, and the cider vinegar and toss so everything is evenly coated. Stir-fry until everything is hot, about 2 minutes. Taste, seasoning with salt and black pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and add the bean sprouts.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with lime wedges, cilantro, and the peanuts.