This syrup adds another dimension to the martini, but would liven up anything it’s used in. Its complex layers of flavor prove that pepper is worthy of more than just a few turns of the grinder.
What to buy: We made this syrup with the standard black peppercorns, known as Tellicherry, but you could seek out more exotic peppers and riff as you please.
Game plan: The spiciness will vary depending on how finely the peppercorns are cracked—finer will give you more heat, coarser will be more tame. This syrup will last up to 1 month when refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins
- Active: Under 5 mins
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to bring mixture to a simmer; cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Strain the cooled syrup and refrigerate it in a container with a tightfitting lid.