Need a vacation? This granola can just about get you there. This recipe is much lower in sugar than many similar granolas found in grocery stores, yet it still packs a ton of flavor. So take a bite, close your eyes, and let the taste of coconut, vanilla, pineapple and mango take you on a mini-vacation to the beach!
- 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped or slivered unsalted almonds
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup cup mixed dried fruit (such as pineapple, mango, apricots, guava, and cranberries)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine oats with flaxseed, almonds, orange zest, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and whisk honey, almond milk, and coconut oil until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour wet ingredients over oat mixture and stir to coat.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and spread oat mixture evenly over top, making is no thicker than about 1/4 inch. Bake for 30 minutes, or until nice and toasty.
- Remove pan from oven and break up some chunks. (Leave a few big clusters—they’re the best bits!)
- Turn oven up to 325 degrees. While you’re waiting for the temperature to increase, add flaked coconut to pan. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool. It will be soft at this point but will become crunchy as its temperature falls. Mix in dried fruit and store in a sealed container.