Fill bell peppers with a combination of quinoa and black beans, and you’ve got a meal loaded with plant-based protein that will be loved by vegans and meat eaters alike. Plenty of zesty Southwestern-inspired flavor keeps everyone coming back for more. Top with cheese if you wish.
- 5bell peppers, tops and seeds removed, tops reserved
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups corn (rinsed and drained if canned)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro or parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1large clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stand peppers in a glass baking dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa in stock for about 8 to 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and grains are puffy. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, salsa, cilantro, and cumin to the bowl. Toss to combine.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add garlic and dry-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Pour contents of the bowl into the pan and stir-fry for 3 minutes. (Tomatoes and onions should soften, and mixture should be hot.)
- Remove pan from stove. Scoop quinoa mixture into peppers, pressing quinoa down with the back of a spoon until peppers are full. Place tops on peppers and bake for 10 minutes.