Here’s a fun fact: President Ronald Reagan deemed July National Ice Cream Month back in 1984. And in the years since, ice cream consumption has grown tremendously, from 887 million gallons in 1983 to 1.53 billion in 2011 (and that’s just in the U.S. alone). We encourage you to do as Mr. Reagan says and celebrate these events with “appropriate ceremonies and activities,” like making this healthier take on ice cream sandwiches.
- 1banana, frozen
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 4graham cracker sheets, broken into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- Thaw banana and strawberries for 10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend fruit until smooth but still firm. (If it’s too liquidy, stick blended mixture in freezer for 15 to 20 minutes until it scoops like ice cream.)
- Spread mixture onto graham crackers and place another cracker on top to create a sandwich. Roll sandwiches in dark chocolate chips and pecan pieces, if desired.