I don’t know about you, but I couldn’t be more excited that spring is finally here. After a long chilly winter, I’m more than ready to shed my heavy down-filled jacket for tank tops, flip flops, shorts, and more time spent outside. Spring is also a great time for lightening up in terms of our diets, and today I’ve got a recipe to help you do just that. This salad is packed full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, plant-based protein, healthy fats, and most importantly, FLAVOR! Not only is it super colourful and delicious, but it’ll leave you feeling satisfied, energized, and ready to make the most of the longer sunny spring days!
Recipe: Super Berry Quinoa Salad
1 1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons slivered or coarsely chopped raw almonds
1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons hemp seeds (also known as hemp hearts)
2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
6 cups mixed baby greens
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
3 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar or fruit-infused vinegar
2/3 cup mixed fresh berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)
- Rinse quinoa under water in a fine mesh strainer.
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa and simmer for 15 minutes (or until all liquid is absorbed).
- Add the ground flaxseed, hemp seeds, and sunflower seeds to the quinoa, stir to combine, and set aside or in the fridge to cool.
Dry-toast the almonds in a small pan on the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. (You can skip this step, but toasting helps to enhance the flavor.)
- Whisk together the oil and vinegar to make a quick dressing.
- Wash the baby greens and place them in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over top and toss to coat.
- Divide the greens between two salad bowls, followed by the cooled quinoa mixture and berries.
- Sprinkle the toasted almonds over each salad and serve immediately.
What's your favorite healthy, satisfying salad? Share your favorite recipes in the comments below, or start the disucssion on our Greatist Community Forums!