Created for Greatist by the experts at Healthline. Read more
All the espresso in the world can’t make up for a really crappy night’s sleep. Maybe you stayed awake analyzing that time you called your co-worker the wrong name. Maybe you woke up over and over with “Frozen II” ballads stuck in your head.
Some research suggests CBD may decrease the symptoms that inhibit quality sleep (such as stress, anxiety, and pain). In a recent study of 72 adults who experienced poor sleep, the use of CBD improved overall sleep scores by more than 60 percent in the first month.
So if you’re the type who does their best thinking (aka worrying) with your head on your pillow, whip up a batch of this CBD treat that might help you snooze the night away.
Now for the good stuff. This melt-in-your-mouth bedtime treat is sure to give you sweet dreams.
- Chocolate mold or ice cube tray
- 1 (10-ounce) bag dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 6–8 drops CBD oil
- Candy or topping of choice, chopped (We love pistachios, dried fruit, and cookie crumbles.)
- In a medium bowl, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil until combined. You can do this by placing the bowl (carefully!) over a pot of boiling water and stirring until melted or by microwaving the ingredients in 15-second intervals.
- Let chocolate mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Add CBD oil and stir to combine. You can add more or less as needed.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the molds, filling them only three-quarters of the way.
- Sprinkle toppings over chocolate.
- Place the molds in the fridge for 2 hours. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Jen Around The World.
One quick pit stop before we send you off to CBD cooking school: If you’ve never used CBD before, take a quick look through this guide to make sure you’re using it correctly.
CBD is a chemical compound found in cannabis plants. There are two main chemicals in cannabis: THC and CBD. Unlike THC, CBD is derived from the hemp plant (Mary Jane’s cousin) and is non-psychoactive, so it can’t get you high.
When will I feel it?
This is the tricky part. How you consume your CBD will impact when and how it affects you. Here’s a rough guide to how varying CBD products will “hit”:
- Capsules and food products are absorbed through your stomach and can take up to 90 minutes to start working. The effects are usually long lasting.
- CBD oil placed directly under your tongue is absorbed within about 20 minutes since it doesn’t have to go through your digestive system.
- CBD vapor enters your bloodstream quickly, so you’ll feel the effects quickly, but they may last only a few hours.
- Topical tinctures applied to your skin are typically fast-acting and last several hours.
Is it safe?
Plan to start your CBD use for sleep slowly. Start with 1 milligram per 10 pounds of body weight for a low dose and build up to 6 milligrams per 10 pounds of body weight for a high dose.
What if I’m pregnant?
If you’re pregnant, it’s best to avoid CBD. There isn’t enough research to indicate it’s safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding. Also, if you’re taking other medications, you should ask your healthcare provider before hopping on the CBD wagon.