It’s an established fact that almond milk is one of the great plant-based milk innovations. So believe us when we say you need this.
In addition to being dairy-free, lactose-free, and vegan, almond milk is super high in vitamin E. Like all antioxidants, vitamin E is great for fighting inflammation and oxidative stress and is associated with better heart health, eye health, and a possible treatment for neurodegeneration.
Almond milk benefits
- high in vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant
- low in calories and sugar
- good source of calcium and potassium
- homemade almond milk contains no added sugars or artificial ingredients
If you love a rich glass of milk but your body isn’t a big fan of lactose, a glass of homemade almond milk hits the spot.
For folks who are keeping an eye on calories or sugar spikes (don’t forget that we all need calories to live), replacing cow’s milk with almond milk might be a solution. By making it yourself, you can be sure you’re not drinking added or refined sugars. And it’s no secret that homemade versions always taste so much more delicious.
You don’t have to be intimidated by the process of making almond milk at home — it’s easy.
We think that once you start making your own almond milk, you’ll enjoy how fun — and delicious — it is to customize. Mix it with coconut milk, spices, or natural sweeteners. Blend it with fruit or chocolate to make strawberry or chocolate milk. The options are endless.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Soak almonds overnight in just enough cool water to cover them.
- Drain almonds and add them to a high-speed blender with filtered water, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Process for at least 2 minutes.
- Strain almond milk through a nut-milk bag into a pitcher or mason jars and refrigerate. Homemade almond milk keeps in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
Generally speaking, almond milk is safe. Of course, if you have a nut allergy, stay far away! Otherwise, just make sure not to throw back several glasses in a row to avoid upsetting your stomach.