Illustration by Shannon Orcutt
Etiquette is an unfortunate reality of working out with others. But don’t worry, we’ve got all the unspoken rules of the weight room right here for you.
- Headphones in? Buzz off. Feel free to be friendly to others, but don’t chat anyone’s ear off— especially if they’re listening to tunes.
- Wipe it away. Sweat, that is. No one wants to show up to a sweaty machine, especially since wiping up after yourself can help prevent transmission of skin diseases. Yuck!
- Return weights to the rack when you’re done. Yes, it’s very impressive how much you can lift, but it doesn’t mean you get a medal — or someone to clean up after you!
- Sharing is caring. Let others work in while you’re resting between sets so everyone can get in and out in a timely fashion.
- The grunting policy is different at every gym, and the same goes for just how often you should let those ultra-heavy weights go slamming to the ground. As a rule of thumb, if you’re the only one doing it, it’s probably not cool.
The Takeaway: Watch your manners in the weight room. Who knows, you might even make a few friends.
Don’t feel like minding your p’s and q’s? Video games can actually get your heart pumping and burn some calories— right in the comfort and privacy of your home.
Research suggestsalmost 10 percent of kids are pathological gamers, potentially causing depression, anxiety, and lower performance in school.