We’ve all been there. After a really long day at work, all you want to do is get under the covers with a glass of wine and your phone, and online-shop for 45 minutes before passing out.
But sometimes, sex presents itself as an option (too) late in the day. Are you exhausted? Definitely. But do you want to pass up the opportunity to get it on? Uh, definitely not.
As sex therapist Vanessa Marin tells Bustle, "There’s absolutely nothing wrong with craving some low-intensity, low-effort sex. Lazy sex can feel just as fulfilling as intense sex, and it can be a really refreshing change of pace."
So for everyone out there who’s ever been caught between their passion for sleep and their horny nature, these 24 GIFs are for you. The struggle is real.
1. It’s been a really long day, and you hate everything now.
Like, I love you, but I love sleep more.
2. But finally being in bed is the actual best.
Must. not. fall. asleep.
3. Your coordination feels a little off.
You’re tired but determined. "I’m sure it’s around here somewhere…"
4. It’s way too late for moves.
It’s back to basics, OK?
5. And you wonder if sex can wait, like, indefinitely.
Being closed for business would be easier, but where’s the fun in that?
6. You didn’t have the time or energy to shave or put your good underwear on.
This really isn’t my best look, but who cares?
7. Maybe you just need a power nap, then you’ll be good to go again?
Just five more minutes, then I’ll have all the energy in the world. Promise.
8. When you starting thinking of all the tasks you still have to do.
But I didn’t take the trash out yet... or load the dishwasher...
9. When your other half suggests sex… then falls asleep first.
Is this a joke?
10. When what they’re asking for is never going to happen.I’m functioning on 4 percent battery. I can’t work miracles.
11. So you put your faith in a higher power.
This is going to work out just fine.
12. Your senses go into overdrive.
What is happening right now?
13. And you were tired and miserable, but now you’re having sex so...
All the thumbs-up.
14. Tired? Who’s tired?
I’ve never felt more alive!
15. When you realize you can do it!
I never doubted my sexual prowess for a second!
16. And you’ve still got it.
It’s like riding a bike.
17. It’s hard to believe that 10 minutes ago you were ready for sleep.
Life really can change in an instant!
18. When you realize you need to be awake in five hours for work.
Zero. f*cks. given.
19. But then the momentary regret kicks in.I make terrible choices!!!!!
20. So you give yourself a necessary pep talk.
“You is smart. You is kind. You is important.”
21. With the end in sight, your body starts to take over.
Muscle memory, am I right?
22. You transcend sleep and feel positively spiritual.
*cue chorus of angelic voices*
23. And you’re ultimately thankful this happened.
Seriously, we were both great.
24. But now it’s finally, absolutely, definitely BEDTIME.
Goodnight, y’all! I’m done.
Amy Mackelden is a weekend editor at ELLE, Harper’s BAZAAR, and Marie Claire. She’s written for Cosmopolitan, Bustle, Ravishly, The Independent, The Guardian, Hello Giggles, and Teen Vogue. She’s currently developing a show called MS Is My Boyfriend, about what multiple sclerosis is really like. Follow her on Twitter @AmyMackelden.