Well fam, it looks like bold brows are here to stay. And 👏 we 👏 are 👏 HERE 👏 for 👏 it 👏. Eyebrow extensions can help you get the eyebrow moment of your dreams. Here’s everything you need to know about this noninvasive cosmetic treatment.
Eyebrow extensions: FAQs
What are eyebrow extensions? Eyebrow extensions lengthen and thicken your natural brows. A technician will apply individual hairs (typically mink or synthetic hair) to your existing brow hair with medical-grade glue. They can also attach strands directly to your skin.
It’s an intricate process that takes about 30 minutes to 2 hours complete. (This will depend on how many extensions you need.)
How long do eyebrow extensions last? These extensions can last up to a month if they’re attached to existing eyebrow hair. But they usually only last 1 to 2 weeks when applied directly to the skin.
How expensive are eyebrow extensions? Extensions tend to be a lot cheaper than semi-permanent or permanent brow enhancements. The price you pay depends on how much hair you’d like applied and where you go. They’re usually between $50 and $200 for a single application.
What are the benefits? There’s a reason why this treatment is so popular. Some perks include:
Eyebrow extension application is super simple (for the recipient!). Here’s a play-by-play of what to expect:
- You’ll explain the shape and thickness you’re looking for.
- Your specialist will match your natural eyebrow color to the right extension shade.
- They’ll gently wash and dry your brows.
- Any extra hair gets tweezed or threaded away to create an ideal shape to build around.
- Your specialist will stencil on your desired shape with a pencil.
- They’ll apply each extension one at a time until your brows are on fleek.
FYI: Don’t get eyebrow extensions if you have an eye infection or if the skin around your eye is irritated. Wait until you’re all better before your glam sesh.
Eyebrow extensions aren’t designed for the long haul. Extensions applied directly to your skin should hold up for about 2-ish weeks. The ones attached to your natural eyebrow hairs can last longer (up to 4 weeks).
Want your extensions to last as long as possible? The right TLC can help. Here are some tips to show your brows some love:
- Try not to touch or pull your extensions.
- Don’t rub your eyebrows too hard when you wash your face.
- Avoid getting your extensions wet for the first 48 hours after application.
Eyebrow extensions can help you get fuller, more even eyebrows. Here’s what you can expect from a typical appointment.
A basic set of eyebrow extensions usually starts around $50. A more extensive application can cost $200 or more. It all depends on the work involved and the salon you go to.
Pro tip: Shop around before you pull the trigger on a salon to find a trusted specialist. You might even be able to find a good deal on Groupon or get a first-time client discount.
Eyebrow extensions aren’t the only option if you want a bomb brow glow-up. Microblading is also hella hot right now. Here’s how the two stack up.
- Microblading lasts longer. The main con of extensions is that they don’t last that long. Meanwhile, microblading can keep on kicking for a year or longer.
- Microblading might be a better value. Microblading can cost upwards of $1,000, but it lasts a super long time compared to extensions. If you get extensions on the reg, they might wind up being more expensive in the long run.
- Extensions are painless and noninvasive. The main downside to microblading might be the application itself. Your provider will use tiny needles to form shallow lines into the uppermost layer of your skin. The lines are then filled with pigment to give you the fullness, color, and shape you’re aiming for. Some peeps say it’s a breeze, but others have claimed it’s uber uncomfortable or even painful.
- Extensions look more natural. Lots of peeps prefer extensions because they add texture and a more realistic vibe.
Eyebrow extensions not your thing? Here are some other noninvasive treatments to try.
- Growth serums are available at your local drugstore or by prescription. They’re great if you’re looking to stimulate extra growth for your natural brows.
- Brow brushes and pencils can help you style your natural brows in a way that boosts their volume. Keep in mind you’ll need to reapply makeup every time you want fuller brows.
- Semi-permanent tints and dyes last longer than makeup. A specialist will apply dye to your natural eyebrow hairs. (FYI: This method can stain your skin, so it’s a good idea to leave the application to a professional.)
- Eyebrow lamination (aka an eyebrow perm) looks like you have gel in your brows, but it lasts about 6 weeks. The technician will use a specially designed chemical cream to reshape and smooth your hair.
Eyebrow extensions are a great way to give your brows a quick boost. The procedure itself is totally painless and requires no recovery time.
Just keep in mind these extensions are only designed to last a month or so. If you want a long-lasting look, you might be better off with microblading.