Welcome to the cycle of GWODs programmed by Chris Freytag! Chris will be bringing you the next three months of workouts, and we're excited to hear what you think. Have any questions or comments? Drop us a line: gwod [at] greatist.com!
Want more from Chris? Follow her on Twitter!
It's officially the holidays — make your workout short, intense, and effective!
If you work out 2, 3, or 4 days per week:
Start with a 5-minute dynamic warmup:
· Back rolls 30 sec
· Arm circles – 30 sec
· Gate swings (for hips) 30 sec
· Straight leg kicks 30 sec
· Jog it out 3 min
Then, do all 6 exercises below for 20 reps each in a row with as little rest as possible in between. Go for 20 or 30 minutes depending on fitness level.
· Do “As Many Rounds As Possible”
· End with 3 minute cool down
*challenge yourself with the proper dumbbells, go heavier when you can as long as your form doesn't suffer. Modify when needed (ie: pushups on knees).
**2-3 rounds will be approx. 20 minutes, 3-4 rounds will be approx. 30 minutes.
1. Alternating Front lunges
3. Lateral Shoulder Raises
4. Alternating Cross Behind Lunges with bicep curls
5. “Row the Boat” – side to side seated oblique twists with weight (feet on the ground)
6. Overhead pulls (for your back); lay on the ground, abs tight, lower weight behind your head, pull back up to eye level.