Welcome to the brand new cycle of GWODs programmed by Chris Freytag! Chris will be bringing you the next three months of workouts, and we're excited to hear what you think. Have any questions or comments? Drop us a line: gwod [at] greatist.com!
This week's workouts are called "50/10 Circuit Workouts," and each is about 30 minutes long:
· Start with 5 minute Dynamic warmup
· Do all 10 exercises for 50 seconds work /followed by 10 seconds rest
· Rest 2 minutes, then repeat
· End with 3 minute cool down
*challenge yourself with the proper dumbbells, go heavier when you can as long as your form doesn't suffer. Modify when needed (i.e. pushups on knees).
**use a stop watch or a timer — Chris' favorite timer is Tabata Pro.
Start with a 5-minute dynamic warm-up:
· Back rolls 30 sec
· Arm circles 30 sec
· Gate swings (for hips) 30 sec
· Straight leg kicks 30 sec
· Jog it out 3 min
Then, All Programs (2, 3, and 4 days/week):
3. Alternating Front Lunges
4. Plank (Hold)
5. Bent Over Double Arm Row (Dumbbells)
6. Jumping Jacks
7. Crunches- feet up is an option
10. Bridge Lift (Hold)- squeeze knees together for more glute and hamstring activation.
From the coach: "I’m a huge fan of Circuits. A circuit workout is a series of several exercises preformed in a row with little rest in-between. There is an unlimited number of ways to organize a circuit workout. Circuits are a fun way to get creative and work smarter by combining your cardio with your strength. Circuits are also often preformed at an elevated heart rate — around 60-75 percent max heart rate- because you are focused as opposed to just vegging out on a bike as you read the latest fashion magazine.