This is our favorite sandwich in mini-size for a great party starter. I was actually tweaking the edamame/rice cracker/goat cheese starter when I thought: this would be great too! So here goes the mini Vietnamese Hoagie. It is like most Vietnamese hoagies you buy at the market except as an open face sandwich. So the recipe is based on what we buy at the market.
- Yield: 10-12
- Total: 15 minutes
- Active: 15 minutes
- 10-12 (1/2″ slices) of fresh French baguettes, toasted lightly
- mayonnaise, a smear for each toast
- Maggi, a drop or two
- 1/2 European Cucumber, sliced as thinly as possible
- Freshly ground Pepper, white or black
- Pickled Jalepenos or Serranos, enough for 2-3 slices for each toast
- 1/4 lb of your favorite roasted, shredded meat (pork, chicken, or thinly sliced fried tofu)
- 10-12 sprigs of fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup of carrots & or daikon radish, thinly sliced & julienned, pickled if possible (optional)
- Slice & toast baguettes briefly.
- Put a light smear of mayo. on each toast. Dot w/ the Maggi to taste.
- Lay a slice or 2 of cucumber on top. Grind pepper on top of the cucumber.
- Lay a few (2-3) pickled peppers on top of the cucumber slices.
- Sprinkle each with desired amount of meat or tofu.
- Add cilantro & julienned veggies to the top.