Yields: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 chopped shallots
- 4 lightly crushed wild lime leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chayote squash
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp
- Prepare sauce: In a sauce pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter, add 2 chopped shallots, 4 lightly crushed wild lime leaves, 2 tablespoons chopped ginger, and 1 tablespoon curry powder. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste, 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, and 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut cream. Simmer about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Strain and keep warm.
- Prepare shrimp: In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and add 2 chayote squash (peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks). Cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (peeled, deveined, and with tail shell left on) and cook 3 minutes longer or until shrimp are opaque.
- Toss shrimp mixture with sauce, season to taste with salt, reheat briefly, and serve over steamed Jasmine rice garnished with wild lime leaves. Serves 4 to 6.