Sweet potato casserole may not be a fan-favorite (or is that just us?), but ya gotta have it at Thanksgiving despite the mixed reviews you'll be getting from your guests/family/in-laws: Why are their marshmallows on top of vegetables? You used pecans instead of the fluff... ? I'm confused, this is sweet enough to be a pie, but we are having it with the turkey?
It's no secret that it's hard to please everybody, but you can come pretty close by scanning your guest list and deciding which version of this sweet potato casserole recipe will make the majority of your company happy. Choose from a classic recipe, a marshmallow-free one (just wait until you see what we're replacing it with), and a version that is both gluten- and dairy-free.
Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil sweet potato chunks in water for 20 minutes, or until a fork goes through easily. Drain and mash.
- Add the egg, 1/4 cup melted butter, milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well. Pour into a greased baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Make the topping by combining brown sugar, flour, pecans, and melted butter in a medium bowl. Spread over sweet potatoes and bake for 30 minutes, adding the marshmallows for the last five minutes of baking.
Marshmallow-Free Sweet Potato Casserole
- Replace marshmallows with 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup cornflakes, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup chopped nuts or pepitas.
- Replace marshmallows with 2 tablespoons coconut butter, 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, 1/4 cup brown sugar (this one is our favorite).
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mash sweet potatoes with 1/4 cup coconut or nut milk, 2 tablespoons apple cider, and 2 tablespoons maple syrup.
- Top with 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons coconut butter (that's it... and then follow the same baking directions as the classic).