Raise your sails! You're about to go on a culinary adventure... on a zucchini boat. Pack the green vessel with ground beef, onion, marinara sauce, and spices, and you'll be well on your way to a meal you won't want to put down (literally, you eat it with your hands).
Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Recipe by: Jamie Webber
Makes: 6 boats
Ready in: 45 minutes
1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus extra
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pound ground beef
1 cup marinara sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
Chopped basil, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Create boats out of zucchini by slicing them in half and carving out the flesh until a little valley forms. (Save the flesh for later.)
3. Rub the outside of the zucchini with a little oil. Place in a line on a parchment-lined baking pan and set aside.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat, then add onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and ground beef, and cook until meat is browned.
5. Once meat is fully cooked (about 8-10 minutes), add marinara, zucchini flesh, seasonings, and salt and pepper, and let everything simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Scoop the meat mixture into the boats and, if using cheese, sprinkle on top.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini has softened.