This streamlined version of classic Greek spanakopita calls for frozen chopped spinach and frozen filo dough, so active prep is at a minimum. You begin by making the filling, sautéeing onion in butter, then adding eggs, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and seasonings. Add the squeezed, defrosted spinach and crumbled feta. Then layer thin sheets of filo dough in a baking dish, remembering to brush each layer with melted butter. The filling goes in a single layer in the middle, under more layers of buttery filo. Bake, cool slightly, and cut into squares or triangles.
- Yields: 6 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hr 10 mins, plus cooling time
- Active: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, plus 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons plain dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 3 (10-ounce) packages frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted
- 10 sheets frozen filo dough, defrosted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions and a large pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, Parmesan, bread crumbs, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the bowl with the onions and whisk to combine.
- Add the defrosted spinach to a colander and press out as much liquid as possible. Transfer the spinach to the bowl with the onion mixture, add the feta, and gently mix with your hands to combine.
- Butter a 9-inch pie dish. Line the pie dish with filo, brushing each sheet with melted butter. The ends should hang over the sides.
- Spoon the spinach mixture into the middle of the filo. Fold the edges up and over the top to seal in the filling. Brush or drizzle the top with melted butter.
- Bake until golden brown and the filling is set, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature before serving.