This dish was featured as part of our Hanukkah Recipes photo gallery.
For more apple treats, try our easy apple cupcakes recipe.
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 cup softened margarine
- 1 2/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples
- Juice from 1/2 medium lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- Heat oven to 325°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Spray an 8-by-8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt 1/2 cup of the margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. When it foams, sprinkle in 2/3 cup of the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the apple pie spice, and vanilla extract. Stir over medium heat until sauce is smooth and a deep amber color.
- Spread caramel sauce evenly in bottom of baking dish. Tile apple slices in tight rows over sauce. Sprinkle lemon juice over apple slices. Evenly sprinkle walnuts on top, if using.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the apple pie spice in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Add remaining 1 cup of the sugar, remaining 1/2 cup of the margarine, and eggs. Beat on medium speed until a thick batter forms. Add soy milk and stir until evenly combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared dish and spread over apples. Bake until a toothpick inserted in cake layer comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Invert onto serving platter and serve warm or room temperature.