The egg-and-bacon combo is more traditionally seen at breakfast, but putting them on a pizza makes a meal suitable at any hour of the day. Sous vide circulators have dropped a lot in price since they were first introduced to the consumer market, and they do make absolutely perfect food, from just-runny-enough eggs to on-point steaks, amazingly easy every time, but if you don’t have one, you can always poach your eggs in a more traditional manner for this pizza. (Alternatively, try this sous vide method that doesn’t require special equipment—or even hack your slow cooker if you’re intrepid and interested enough to do so).
This recipe was written for a Baking Steel, which is another special tool, true, but it makes achieving perfect pizza a cinch. No matter what particular methods you use, since there are so few ingredients here, make sure you buy (or make) the best quality bacon, eggs, cheese, and pizza dough you can find. If you need a pizza peel, you can pick one up for under $20 here.
- Yields: 1 12-inch pizza
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 1 hr (inlcudes preheating time)
- Active: 20 min
- 1 ball fresh pizza dough
- flour for dusting
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn
- 3 or 4 slices bacon, uncooked
- 1 or 2 sous-vide or poached eggs
- fine sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the Baking Steel in your oven at 500 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Stretch your dough into a 12-inch circle (oblong or oval is also fine). Lightly flour your peel and place the dough on top.
- Set the oven to Broil.
- Evenly distribute the mozzarella and bacon across the top of the pizza, leaving about 1 inch around the perimeter for the crust.
- Use a generously floured pizza peel to launch your pizza onto the Baking Steel and bake under the broiler for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, open the oven and use your pizza peel to give the pizza a 180-degree turn. Turn off the broiler, set the oven to its highest temperature, and continue cooking for another 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese has attained the desired brownness.
- Use your pizza peel to remove the pie from the oven. Slice and serve.