These Indian-inspired raw energy bites make a delicious snack or dessert option without added sugars. Most of their sweetness and healthy carbs come from the figs, which also provide fiber and vitamin B6. A touch of fresh orange juice and zest add a little more sweetness with a bonus of vitamin C. Super quick and easy to make, these store great in the fridge whenever you want a treat.
- 10 large dried Turkish figs, quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
- 3/4 cup pistachios, finely chopped (use a food processor or coffee grinder to make it easy)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Pinch salt
- Shredded coconut
- Place all ingredients except coconut in a food processor or high-powered blender, and mix until everything comes together. (If you use a blender, keep the speed low to medium and use a tamper to help combine. ) You may need to stop once or twice and push down the sides of the container with a spoon. It's okay if you are left with a couple smaller chunks of fig, as they will add some texture.
- Form mixture into small balls. Roll in shredded coconut (and/or extra chopped pistachios).
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before eating. Store in the refrigerator.