Mushrooms are so versatile. They soak up just about any flavor, making them a great accompaniment to most dishes and a part of almost all cuisines. This recipe combines white button mushrooms with spinach and cheese, then serves them in portobello mushrooms, swimming in marinara sauce. Enjoy with a salad, brown rice, or quinoa for a complete meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1large yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8white button mushrooms, halved
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted and thoroughly drained
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 4large portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8-10grape tomatoes, quartered
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Warm 1 tablesooon olive oil in a pan over medium high-heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and button mushrooms, and cook until juices have cooked off and mushrooms are tender.
- Add spinach. Stir until warmed and any water has cooked off. Set pan aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup marinara sauce in bottom of a baking dish and spread evenly. Add portobello mushrooms, top down.
- Top portobellos with 1 1/2 ounces mozzarella, then mushroom-spinach mixture, then tomatoes. Top with remaining 1/2 cup marinara and 1 1/2 ounces mozzarella.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes.